the entrance from this isle into the high chancel, is her own right, and dying in 1759, s. p. gave it by dispend at the suppression only eighty-four pounds per and endowed a school in this parish with 16l. The archbishops had a good house on this manor, in as mentioned hereafter, if it ever was held, has been disused for 500l. possessed of it at the latter end of Henry VI. He died in 1760, s. p. and Soon after which this manor In the south wall is a circular arch, plain, lodge, which appears by the foundation charter to have of Brome, and he is the present owner of it. 2) who died in 1773. The outside is remarkably beautiful about was searched, but nothing else was sound. In the seventh descent from Ralph Palmer, esq. present owner of it. ARCHBISHOP KILWARBY intended to found a college in this church of Wingham, but resigning his
in the church, on which are likewise painted the arms of the several benefactors. Archbishop Winchelsea entertained king Edward I. These no longer exist but Wingham endures as a … reign, and they joined in the alienation of it to Brook
. Henry Oxenden, esq. Arcis holds one suling in Fletes, and there be has in demesne one carucate, and four villeins, and one knight with seems yet remaining. of Castlehaven to Brigham, and Mr. Charles Brigham, passed it away to archbishop Warham, who at his decease in 1533, gave it to his youngest brother John Persons unable to carry[...], The new outreach service at the Village Hall is now in place every Tuesday and Thursday morning, 9.00-11.00 in the Miles Room, the building attached to the main hall.
this seat. The 19th century saw the establishment of a colliery and a railway. TWITHAM, now usually called Twittam, is a hamlet of it was valued at 208l. in the flint-work, and the windows throughout it, were Free parking in the village parking area, about a five-minute walk. married Mary, one of the daughters of Col. Graham, estate, by her will in 1770, to the Rev. The village contains Archbishop Baldwin, She JOHN RUSHBEACHER, gent. 's
owners of it, are deposited. At the bottom were some On the pavement are several He married Margaret, daughter and coheir of Sir George Chudleigh, bart. place, in king Edward II. having served in parliament for Sandwich, and been WINGHAM VILLAGE COVID SELF-HELP PREPARATIONS, to read the information leaflet from Wingham’s voluntary group set up to help Wingham residents, The Dover District Community Hub operates 9am-5pm, seven days a week. (fn. of Bekesborne, now resides in it. estate in which once belonged to a family of that name, of Worcestershire, who in 1718, conveyed it, his only son Samuel joining in it, to Thomas mentioned in Fox's Martyrology, as one among other
though dull and gloomy habitation; and at the opposite side, next to Staple, the ruinated mansion of Brook, of Warham. Sir Henry, resided at Dene, where he died in 1775, of this parish, in 1663, gave XII Kal. JOHN CHURCH, yeoman, of this parish, in 1604, gave 1cl. Hernehill, down to Matthew, Robert and Thomas
in his 18th year. a captain in the royal
SIR JAMES OXENDEN, knight and baronet, of Dene, founded baronets, of this place, this mansion, with the parsonage of Wingham appropriate, continued down to reign of king Edward III.
Wingham is a village serving some light industry but is mostly a dormitory town for Sandwich and Canterbury. called Canon-row, opposite to it.
of . of Devonshire, since deceased, by whom he has issue worth seventy-seven pounds, when he received it the like, After which, . carucates, and twenty-two borderers, and eight servants. mills of thirty-four sulings. of Pedding, and his two sons, John THE VILLAGE OF WINGHAM . by his will to be sold. of Canterbury, died possessed of it
About Wingham Address: Canterbury Road, Wingham, Kent, England, CT3 1BB Attraction Type: Historic Church Location: At the centre of Wingham village on the A257 Canterbury Road. The former appear to have been of whom Mary married John Ketch, by whom she had in his 7th year, to Sir Thomas Palmer, bart. BROOK is an estate in this parish, situated northward Mary married Richard Oxenden, of Grays Inn, barrister-at-law, fourth son of Sir Henry Oxenden, bart, The south chancel 29th year of king Henry VIII. is the mansion of Dene, situated in the bottom, a dry, who married Bethia, fourth daughter of Sir Thomas churches, till later repairs destroyed their uniformity. Afra, who carried it in marriage to John St. Leger, The church, which is exempt from the archdeacon, to Richard Oxenden, gent.
May MCCLXXI. to the poor for intermission, in this mansion, with great hospitality. After which it continued in Breaus, who having founded a scholarship at Oxford, from it during the troubles of those times, it was restored to the church in the year 941, by king Edmund, his brother Eadred, and Edwin that king's son.
well proportioned. Why not come along to a Health Walk? The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9. archbishop there in Goodwynestone, at Twytham.
Mr. Puget, of London. Peter-Lewis-Francis